(inspired by 1885 Grill, Chattanooga)
LEMON BUTTER SAUCE
- 12 Tbsp. Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into ½ inch pieces, divided
- 2 Tbsp. Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup Dry White Wine
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- Kosher Salt and Ground White Pepper (optional)
- Place a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Allow the butter to melt, add onion and garlic and cook stirring frequently. Cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to cook until the liquid is reduced to about ¼ cup, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add 3 tablespoons of butter at a time and whisk the butter in until it is completely melted. You want the butter to slow soften into an emulsified sauce, not quickly melting it is a process. Add the remaining butter 3 tablespoons at a time until all the butter has been added into the sauce. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, then remove from heat.
- Serve immediately or store sauce upto 2 hours at room temperature. If you are to reheat the sauce do it over a low setting, otherwise the sauce will separate.
- If it does separate remember the sauce will still taste the same, just not have the same look, it will look more like melted butter. Don’t worry after a few times of making the sauce you will get the hang of it.
- Cooking this sauce on low heat is key.
MUSHROOMS & GRITS
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil + 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1½ Tbsp. Capers
- 1 pound Baby Bella Mushrooms, cut in half or thereabouts
- ½ Small Yellow Onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups Baby Kale
- 1 jar Roasted Red Peppers -or- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry
- ¼ cup Dry White Wine
- 2 ½ cups Grits, cooked as directed
- Prepare grits as directed on the box.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and the capers. Shake the pan until the capers are in one layer. Reduce heat to medium/medium-high, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes undisturbed, until the capers are golden-brown. Shake the pan again and continue to sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes until capers are golden-brown on all sides, shaking the pan occasionally. Transfer to a small bowl to cool to room temperature.
- In same skillet, heat over medium-high olive oil. Add mushrooms and onion. Saute until tender. Add baby kale, red peppers -or- sun dried tomatoes, sherry, white wine, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil cook on low until baby kale is wilted and juices are reduced.
- Plate grits. Spoon mushrooms over the grits and top with lemon butter sauce. Enjoy!